Monday, October 25, 2010

On our way to Disney!

The day we had been waiting for has finally arrived. We got up early so we could be on the road by 6:30, we ended up leaving about 6:15. Our plan was to drive almost all the way to Orlando, maybe stopping within an hour of Orlando to spend the night.

We stopped at Cracker Barrel (because isn't that where everyone stops on road trips to eat). My mom had driven until this point. But she doesn't do well at night so I started to drive.

Well after about an hour and a half or so we had just driven through Gainesville, FL and the car started to jerk. My mom, who was half asleep, says what are you doing? I said I am not doing anything it is your car! Well that was mostly true. I looked down and we had no gas! I was just singing Disney songs, cruise control on and not paying any attention to the gas. Plus John always fills my car up so I don't ever think about getting gas. I pulled over on the side of the road. It took us a while to figure out what to do. I mean we are in FL, don't know where exactly we are and don't know anyone nearby. I know in TN I could have called the TDOT people but I didn't know about FL. We had to call my Granddad and worry him to get my cousin Alisha's number (she lives in Tallahassee). I called Alisha to find out if they have some sort of roadside assistance in FL. She told me to call *FHP, which would be the Florida Highway patrol. Then I had to call 911 so they could tell me my location (which was north of mile 367.3). I found it quite interesting that they could tell me exactly where I was and in Memphis we see commercials all the time saying knowing 911 is not enough, you have to know your location. Then a tow truck comes and brings us 2 gallons of gas, which cost me $45! He was nice enough to follow us to the next exit where luckily they had a 24 hour gas station (because by this time it was about 11:30). I told my mom I hope this was not a foreshadowing of things to come for the week.
Here is the tow truck:

We finally got to Orlando and checked into a Clarion Inn about 2:00 am. Then we got up the next morning to drive to the hotel where would be staying for the week. We ate the breakfast buffet, checked into our hotel but our room wasn't ready yet so we headed to Epcot.


Holly Aytes said... had me and Matt laughing so hard! The part about driving along, singing and not paying attention to the gas...too funny! I chatted with John on FB one day while you were gone and he told me you had run out of gas but wouldn't tell me the story...he wanted to leave that for you to do! Glad y'all got there safely and had a good time.

Kelley said...

LOL! Girl...I would say only you, but this would prolly happen to me too, haha!