Friday, March 12, 2010

Smoothies

I don't eat healthy. I just don't. I like food that is bad for me. I just do. I only eat 3 vegtables: corn, green beans and potatoes (any kind). However I am told that the potatoes don't really count and the corn is just starch so even that doesn't count. My kids actually eat a lot healthier than I do and John eats worse than I do. Kaitlyn likes all kinds of veggies and I can't keep fruit in the house with Kyle because he will eat it all in one day. He loves tomatoes, I will buy about 5 of them at a time. He eats them like apples and they are gone in one day. Good, yes but expensive! He loves to go to Easy Way with me, he calls it the fruit store.

So in my effort to eat a little more healthy I am trying to make smoothies in the afternoons and eat some kind of fruit for breakfast every morning. At least it is a start.

I found several smoothie recipes that look appealing to me. The first one I tried was a blueberry pomegranate smoothie. I don't think this one is technically a smoothie because there is no dairy in it so I would call it a slush. But it uses pomegranate juice which apparently is really good for you. I liked it but I think I needed to blend it a little longer. Here is that recipe: blueberry pomegranate smoothies.

Then I found this website with lots of different recipes on it. I tried the Strawberry, Pineapple, and Banana smoothie. It was good too. Even better the next day after what I was left over had set in the fridge for 24 hours. Here is that one:







Then I turned to the trusty ole Allrecipes site and searched for smoothies. Yesterday I tried the Chocolate Strawberry one and it was good too (maybe not quite as healthy).





The nice thing about them is they are pretty filling so you are not hungry later and Kaitlyn loves them so they make a good after school snack for her. If I keep this up I am going to need a new blender though.

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

We love smoothies! Especially the kids. We have a margarita machine and it makes the best smoothies. We use lots of frozen fruit since it is cheaper and lasts longer. One of our favorites is raspberries. We use yogurt to make ours though some recipes call for milk the yogurt works and makes them creamier. Yeah for you trying to be more healthy. It is hard and expensive. I too love food that is bad for you but eat tons of veggies. Taylor loves the veggies while Caleb and Madison eat mostly fruits....Matt eats like 3 vegetables also!

The Beatty's said...

Good for you!